Tuesday, March 23, 2010

5th anniversary

Things have been great around the Hancock household lately. Rodney and I celebrated our 5th wedding anniversary on Friday, March 19th and Rodney was full of surprises. We had planned to go to lunch on John's Island on Friday, but the Fat Hen wasn't open. Since we were already in Johns Island, Rodney suggested we go out to Kiawah for lunch - I thought nothing of it.

Lunch at King Street Grill at Freshfield Village was great - we sat in the sun and enjoyed a "hair of the dog." Rodney and I were both feeling the effects from a LONG night of drinking the night before. I honestly thought I may throw up if I drank anything, but Rodney was, so I had to do it too! Couldn't be shown up on our anniversary - it was a day off work and we were going to enjoy it. When we were getting in the car, I suggested that since we were already out at Kiawah that we should go and try to check out the River Course clubhouse that had burnt down previously in the week. (I played RIGHT into his hand and didn't even know it!)

When we were driving to the gate we were scheming about how we were going to get through the gate - Rodney said that he was just going to tell them we were staying at The Sanctuary. Again, thought nothing of it and told him to use the last name Brown, just being silly. Of course when Rodney gave them the last name Hancock, the guard said first initial "R" and handed him a pass with his name on it. I honestly was still utterly confused - I didn't have any clothes or any other personal stuff in order to spend the night - I didn't even have my pocketbook!

Rodney was awesome - he had packed my clothes, makeup, flat iron, dresses, stuff to ride bikes, shoes, all kinds of stuff. We had the best time - we drank most of the day, rode bikes late in the afternoon, ate a wonderful dinner and passed out about 9:30! Saturday morning, we rode bikes for almost 2 hours on the beach and around the Island - went to check out the Ocean Course where the PGA Championship is going to be held in 2012. Really neat course!

We checked out about 11:30 and headed for Nancy's - my choice of clothes were the 4 or so dresses that Rodney had packed for our dinner out the night before. I was under the impression that we were headed to a nice lunch to thank Nancy for keeping the kids the night before. Rodney told me that we had to stop by the complex behind Lowe's to pick up Neil because he was playing with the granddaughter of one of Nancy's friends - again, I thought nothing of it. I realize now that I don't ask enough questions! I just thought they were in town and they were supposed to go to lunch with us to.

As most of you know, when we drove by the clubhouse, all of our friends and family were there to surprise us (well, I guess only me because Rodney obviously planned this!). It was the most beautiful day we've had this year and it was such a blast spending the day with everyone. I have to thank everyone for coming out and really pulling off an amazing surprise! THANK YOU!!

There are so many stories from the day about surprises, pictures, Facebook posts, letters, and the list goes on and on. Thanks again to everyone that helped make it the best surprise I've ever had! And of course I have to really thank my wonderful husband for all the work he put into our weekend - how will I ever get you back?! HA HA. Love you!

1 comment:

rachel said...

ash...this made me cry. ol' rod dog really out did himself. packed a flat iron. wow! i am sorry we missed your party. it made me sad that we could not come and celebrate with you! remember when you were getting ready for your wedding and would only eat popcorn and other weird herbal supplements you kept ordering off the internet? haha! love you!